Google+ Rawfully Tempting™: Chocolate Fudge Layer Cake w/Raspberry Filling

Best of Raw

***2014 BEST OF RAW AWARDS

Voted Best of Raw - Favorite Raw Vegan Gourmet Chef + Favorite Raw Vegan Blog.

Healthy Personal Care - www.beautycounter.com/barbarakessler

6th Annual Best of Raw Award

6th Annual Best of Raw Award

December 31, 2009

Chocolate Fudge Layer Cake w/Raspberry Filling

I made this cake for W's birthday last year. It came out super fabulous! I am not sure where this recipe came from, so I apologize. I think it was  a combination of 2-3 recipes and has been modified.

It was an awesome cake. Rich and chocolaty!! Ooooh! I LOVE CHOCOLATE!!!!! My friends had never eaten raw desserts before and were literally moaning when they ate it. They even begged to take a piece home to have the next day.



Chocolate Fudge Layer Cake w/Raspberry Filling


Ingredients
For the Fudge Cake:
 1 1/2  cup walnuts,raw, unsoaked
  1/3  cup raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
  10  dates, pitted - medjool, unsoaked
  pinch  of sea salt
  1/2  tsp vanilla extract
  2  tsp  filtered water
 Organic Shredded, unsweetened Coconut flakes
* For the layer cake, double the Cake recipe above.
    For the Raspberry Filling:
    1c fresh or frozen raspberries. Thaw and drain.
    1/4  cup medjool dates, pitted and soaked
    1ripe banana, thinly sliced(optional)
      For the Chocolate Frosting:
      1/4  cup maple syrup (or your fav sweetener)
      1/2  tsp vanilla extract
      3/4  cup mashed avocados
      5 medjool dates, pitted
      1/4  cup plus 2T unsweetened cacao powder or carob powder
      * For the layer cake, double the Cake recipe above.
        Instructions
        For the Cake:
        1. Place the walnuts, cacao powder and salt in food processor with S-blade until ground. 
        2. Add dates, (pulse until well mixed). 
        3. Add extract.
        4. Process until mixture begins to stick together.  
        5. Add water and process briefly.
        6. Sprinkle  bottom of a 5 - 6" round dish with shredded coconut. (For layer cake you will need two of these.) Spread cake mixture into bottom of each round dish, or form into stackable cakes. Use spatula around edges to carefully compact sides of cake.  Place in freezer to firm while preparing frosting and filling.
        Note: For a single layer, you can serve a dollop of raspberry filling with each slice of cake

        For the Filling:
        1. Place ingredients in high speed blender or processor. 
        2. Process until smooth. Will keep in refrigerator for 3 days.

        For the Chocolate Frosting:
        Place dates, agave and extract in food processor process until very smooth.
        1. Add avocado and and process until creamy.  
        2. Add cacao powder and process until smooth. 
        3. Stop and scrape occasionally with rubber spatula. Add water, if needed, and process briefly. (Keeps for 3 days in refrigerator or 2 wks in freezer.)   
        To Serve:
        1. Take cake pans from freezer and set one in sink of shallow HOT water just until bottom starts to separate from pan. 
        2. Use dull knife to carefully scrap around side of cake and gently release from pan.  Place first cake plate  (coconut covered side up) and cover with raspberry filling. Top with sliced banana, if using.
        1. Release 2nd cake from pan and set carefully on top of raspberry filling.
        2. Frost cake with Chocolate Frosting mixture. 
        3. Decorate with a dollop of raspberry filling and fresh raspberries. Sprinkle with shredded coconut or chopped nuts.Refrigerate, to firm, but bring to room temperature before serving.

        This picture (to left) was my second attempt at this cake, with some modifications. This second recipe is a little more gourmet and equally  yummy. Click HERE for the modified version.

        *There are lots of options with this recipe. Get creative. Skip the raspberry and use a nut butter filling. I am thinking some ground hazelnut  mixed into the cake or icing mixture might add a nice flavor?

        10 comments :

        Ariella said...

        We just tried this recipe and it turned out amazing! I did a post on my blog about it and linked to you
        http://childhoodmagic.blogspot.com/2010/05/raw-chocolate-fudge-cake-w-raspberry.html

        Thank you!!

        Rawfully Tempting B. Kessler said...

        Childhood Magic thank you so very much for posting my recipe on your blog. I loved seeing the photos of your children decorating and enjoying the cake. PURE BLISS! Thanks for letting me know how much you enjoyed it! Blessings!

        twolittleseeds said...

        I've just seen this on Childhood Magic and it looks amazing! I love the fact that there is no added sugar! I will definitely make this and am subscribing to your blog! Thanks for sharing! x

        Rawfully Tempting B. Kessler said...

        Thank you twolittleseeds. I hope you do make it and let us know how it turns out. Blessings!

        Jo said...

        Oh my, this is a revelation. I've never tried a "raw" cake before but having just made this I might just be the start of an addiction! Thanks for posting your recipe.

        sze ting said...

        hi, this is a nice cake. i just made one with my son for his birthday. i post it on my blog with a link to your blog. i did some changes cause i couldn't find some ingredient。 thanks again for the wonderful recipe.

        abbie said...

        I found you via Childhood Magic. I made this cake and it tastes simply wonderful! I just posted it on my blog and linked to your blog. http://www.organizing-life.com/gluten-free-raspberry-chocolate-cake/food/ How many dates did you use in the frosting? I think I used about 10. It was such fun making this cake with my children. Thank you so much for the recipe!

        Rawfully Tempting B. Kessler said...

        Thanks Abbie! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. The dates vary depending on how sweet they are and how sweet I feel like making the filling. I used about 1/4 cup the first time, so maybe 5 dates? But there are times I've used more than that.

        Keep creating!! You might like the Peanut Butter Banana Layer cake too!

        Blessings!

        Abigail said...

        Do you think this would work well with raw pecans in place of the walnuts? We can't eat walnuts. This sounds so delicious!

        Rawfully Tempting B. Kessler said...

        Abigail, unfortunately, I've not done a lot of desserts with pecan. I love them, but they do have a rather distinct flavor that I'm not sure would blend with the raspberry. I'd cut the recipe in half and experiment I'd try mostly cashews mixed with some almonds that have been soaked overnight.

        Please let me know how it turns out...Have fun with it...you can always take the dough and make brownies or cookies with it. That's what is so fun about raw cooking.

        Last week I started out creating a bagel, but it ended up being a doughnut. LOL

        Keep me posted!

        Web Analytics